Coronavirus: Lab now processing limited number of COVID-19 tests
As of March 17, COVID-19 testing is available in-house at Beaumont, Royal Oak in limited numbers. Due to the national shortage of reagents, we can perform a few hundred tests per day systemwide. The number will likely change dependent on access to supplies. Specimens run in our lab will be prioritized for inpatients and EC patients based on patient status and risk.
Please follow the screening guidelines and ensure only patients meeting prioritized criteria actually get tested. When testing is required:
Please collect one nasopharyngeal swab and order the following:
- Farmington Hills, Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak and Troy:
- Influenza A/B and RSV, nucleic acid amplification (Epic: LAB7166, Soft: FLRN1)
- SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) by NAA, routine (Epic: LAB7913, Soft: COV2R)
- Dearborn, Taylor, Trenton and Wayne:
- Influenza A/B and RSV, NAA (Epic: LAB7166, Sunquest: FLRNA)
- SARS CoV2 NAA routine (Epic: LAB03866, Sunquest: COV2R)
Rapid flu testing will be performed prior to referral for COVID-19 testing. This testing will be canceled if rapid flu is positive. Those COVID-19 test requests not completed in-house due to capacity issues will be sent out to a reference laboratory.
COVID-19 turnaround time for testing is estimated at less than 24 hours for in-house testing, send-out testing will be three to five days, depending on volumes. Please note this is not a guarantee.
Please do not send patients to a Laboratory Patient Service Center for collection for COVID-19 testing. Patients who are symptomatic should be referred to the Beaumont’s curbside screening process available through the Emergency Centers.